View Single Post
Old 11-21-2003, 11:12 PM   #97
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Please pardon me while I wildly applaud Child's brilliant post... and add a brief postscript: If Frodo is comparable to a saint, one who transcends (whether by opportunity or sheer neccessity) then surely his writings would also be comparable; and I think they are.

Peruse an autobiography or a diary of the average saint, and they will claim that they are a great sinner, even while those around them vouch for their great holiness, piety, humility, and continuity of action with belief.

And (I find it fascinating) that the few times we really do "get inside Frodo", if only for a moment, are those moments when he encounteres Elven spirituality, or Goldberry's spirituality, often via song. By GOldberry's song, he feels "his heart moved with a joy that he did not understand". Arwen's glance and song "pierced his heart. He stood still enchanted..." And Galadriel's lament "did not comfort him. Yet... they remained graven in his memory..." And then of course there are the dreams. What we do see clearly in Frodo are his various supernatural experiences that prepare him for his quest.

And then we see his struggles, when the darkness looms.

I think this is similar to many writings of Catholic saints which tend to emphasize the contrast between experiences that deepened their faith, versus their struggles and weaknesses.