View Single Post
Old 11-14-2002, 11:37 PM   #7
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It was still dark outside when Andreth and her father caught their first sight of the Brandywine River. The pair had ridden hard and fast over the past three days to cover the distance from Michel Delving to Sarn Ford in as swift a manner as possible. Just last night they'd made camp beside the road and risen while the stars still twinkled in the skies, hoping to reach the Inn by dawn.

"Slow down, slow down," her father panted. "We're almost there. We can afford to give our horses a breather."

With great reluctance, Andreth pulled back on the reins, and sat squarely down in her saddle. If she had her own wish, she'd have gone galloping madly into town to arrive as soon as she could. But there was no sense in angering her father. Not when he'd finally agreed to let her go.

As the Inn at Sarn Ford loomed ahead of them, Dagnir shook his head and sighed, "And exactly what am I going to tell your mother?"

"Please don't start that again," Andreth begged. "Just tell her someone from the family had to go. Even she would agree with that. This is the busiest time of year for you. And Brandir is an apprentice. He can't just take off anytime he pleases. That leaves me. So here I am."

Andreth's younger brother had recently apprenticed to the Rangers. It was he who had brought the news to Michel Delving about the strange affairs that were afoot. Dagner and Andreth had been touring the Shire with their textile wares piled high in their cart. They'd unhitched the horses and left the cart behind them in the care of a friendly hobbit family whom Dagnir knew well. Then they'd raced over the hills to Sarn Ford as quickly as they dared.

Upon reaching the front of the inn, father and daughter dismounted. "Remember what I told you. I've contacted Mistress Bethberry to act as your chaperone and keep an eye on you."

"Father, I don't need any chaperone. I'm twenty-four years old."

"You can't be too careful these days." Dagnir countered gruffy. "Things seem to be going from bad to worse. Anyways, remember what I said to you. It's not the treasure. No good father would risk his daughter's neck for treasure. It's the honor and the rightness of the thing."

"I'll remember. I promise." She turned and planted a kiss on his cheek. But, to tell the truth, Andreth's mind was more on adventure and freedom than on any question of honor or rightness. Still, she understood what her father meant.

Dagner walked up to the innkeeper, and inquired if he might speak with Master Gandalf or, better yet, Mistress Bethberry with whom he was well acquainted. His daughter would be accompanying them on a journey. He did not want to leave her until he was sure that she was safely in their care.

[ November 15, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]