View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 03:36 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Welcome to the downs Yeade, if you want to make an introduction The New Members thread would be the place to do it. Yes, it does get quite confusing, and I don't even attempt to figure out genealogies but I think I can help you with a few things...

Quote:
I tried to label the various groupings of elves, but only got as far as Vanyar, Noldor, and Sindar. As I understand it, the Sindar are a subgroup of the Teleri, which also include the Falmari, Nandor, and Silvan Elves. Olwë is, I think, the only one who counts as Falmari. I have no clue whether there are any elves on the chart who belong to the other two groups. The Lórien elves are Silvan, like those in Mirkwood, but neither Celeborn nor Galadriel are of the same descent. Frankly, I'm confused.
It's like a tree, there's two big groupings the Eldar and the Avari. The Eldar are the elves that journeyed from Cuivienen to Beleriand, the Avari were the ones who refused. The Eldar break further into Vanyar, Noldor, and Teleri. All Vanyar, Noldor, and some Teleri that went to the Undying Lands in the days of the two trees were Calaquendi. The Teleri that didn't go to the Undying lands are further broken down into Sindar, Nandor, and Laiquendi. That's the basics.

As to answer the question of Galadriel and Celeborn...Celeborn was Teleri, and was one of them that went to the Undying lands (some years after Galadriel left). Galadriel was a Noldor Elf, she created Lorien as to sort of mimic the Undying lands, and she sustained it with the power of her ring, Nenya. Yes, the rest of the elves in Lorien are Sindar. So once Nenya lost it's power, Lorien faded away.

Last edited by Boromir88; 03-24-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote