View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 04:47 PM   #150
Theron Bugtussle
Wight

Location: Blowing the froth off a couple in this quaint little pub in Michel Delving.
Theron Bugtussle has just left Hobbiton.
Timeout Forcing Log Out

I think I have the same or similar problem as Firefoot.
Quote:
Originally posted by Firefoot
I have noticed that sometimes if I am away long enough....that it logs me out for no good reason. ...Also sometimes I go to post and write my reply and then hit "submit"...[experiences the problem]...Has anyone else been having these problems?
Except for me it has nothing to do with my computer screensaver coming on, I don't have that enabled. I will usually be replying, and if I sit on the Post Reply screen for maybe 5 minutes it will time out. So when I post (hit submit) it says I am not currently logged in. (I said 5 minutes but I don't know, it could be longer, I am not sure what the magic number is.)

Also, here is a little different symptom than Firefoot. I can always get back to the Post Reply screen and I copy the text. Then go log in again, find the right thread, select Add Reply, and paste the saved text...AND SUBMIT BEFORE IT TIMES OUT AGAIN!

For debugging purposes, here is my Edit Options cookies section (with selected options bolded):

Edit Options - Theron Bugtussle
Login, Cookies & Privacy

Invisible Mode?
Selecting yes allows you to surf the forums without appearing in the 'Logged In Users' list. yes no

Automatically login when you return to the site? (uses cookies) yes no
-- I selected 'no' on this, because I may share this computer with others and I want them to have their own logon if they want to use this forum. I do not mind logging in manually every time. That works the same as the old bulletin board.

Browse board with cookies?
Clicking yes will use cookies to keep your id for this session. Clicking no will send it through the links. (Selecting no may cause problems when sharing links with people behind the same proxy as you) yes no
--I would think this would use the cookies to keep my id for this session, so I would remain logged in until I manually log out. That is how I used to use the old bulletin board, though I think there was no option for automatic login.

HAHAHA! I just hit Preview Reply on this, and it had timed out. It was probably more than 5 minutes. But I was able to foil the "Timeout Forcing Log Out" goblin and recapture the text and paste here and I will submit hopefully, and....*whew!*

Oh, as further debugging information, here is the timeout message I get:

Quote:
vBulletin Message
You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again.

You do not have permission to access the page that you were trying to. Are you trying to edit someone else's post or trying to access administrative features? Check that you are allowed to perform this action in the Forum Rules.

If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.