View Single Post
Old 02-21-2022, 10:13 AM   #75
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I don't know how much impact it's having on people's thoughts, but I've noticed a couple of us seem to be misinterpreting Galadriel's lone quest. She's not a reckless vigilante on the hunt for enemies long dead - she's right. There's literally a shot in the trailer of her finding the Morgoth--spawned enemies she's been insisting are there, while (presumably) Gil-Galad and Elrond brush the idea off. "Morgoth is banished," they say, "the Balrogs are slain, Sauron has slunk off never to be seen again - take it easy, there's no orcs or trolls anywhere this side of the Orocarni."

But there are. And as a high-ranked leader of the Noldor, Galadriel is well within her rights to ignore her possibly-nephew's complacency, take a few soldiers, put on her old armour (because going /un/armoured would be suicidal), and go get the evidence.

Which exists. Because she's right. The Enemy is still there; the War never ended. And the safety of one Artanis Nerwen isn't more important than proving the threat.

(Heck, even at the end of the Third Age she probably wore armour - I've always pictured her tearing down the walls of Dol Guldur with magic in a dress, but realistically, you wear armour so one Orc with a bow doesn't get insanely lucky.)
It's not the armour that's the problem. I don't think that part is such a stretch. It's what they do with that point, and if anything remains to the clever and ambitious and insightful Galadriel except for her armour. Am I being pessimistic? Yes. I acknowledge the possibility of being pleasantly surprised, but I won't bet on it.

As for the rest - Galadriel is influential. She is a leader. She doesn't end up in a situation where she is all alone against the world. She persuades people. If those people are not her Noldorin relatives, they are people of her following. She sends spies and scouts. She organizes patrols. She gathers intelligence in ways that are accessible only to her as Melian's student. At the very least, if she believes her presence is more necessary on a quest than at the heart of her kingdom, she still doesn't go alone. She is supposed to play the game on a bigger scale, as the leader of a kingdom, or at least a large population. A place to which she got with all her characteristics and experiences listed upstream the thread. And what really hurts me is that of all those characteristics, the only one that seems to have survived so far was her tomboyishness.

But I admire your optimism. I agree that it is not outside the realm of possibility that actually this can all make sense within a reasonable portrayal of Galadriel. I just don't have your faith that it could be such.

Why couldn't they just stick to Numenor or something and be as unreasonable as they want with some Second Age king I don't even remember? Make up a whole backstory for him and his court, it would not even severely contradict anyone's head cannon... Gil-Galad and Galadriel could make appearances - appearances, not lead roles - to tie the story to what is known in the movieverse... That would have been grand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Congratulations on your newest venture into fan-fiction -- let us know when you've posted it. Galadriel didn't don armor and go hunting or command armies in the 1st Age, and she didn't don armor and go hunting or command armies in the 3rd Age. What, she only gets the urge every other Age? It's a good thing she sailed for Valinor at the end of the 3rd, cos', boy oh boy! she was ready to kick some a** in the 4th Age!
Galadriel didn't go hunting? That is outright not true. Command armies? When she is the head of the state, she certainly directs her armies... the strategy if not the tactics. If Denethor can be said to be a commander, so can she - and this is at the minimum, going by what is explicitly written in the text. As for wearing armour, I don't see how that would be such a stretch for her to occasionally do it. She was a tomboy after all. I don't find the bare fact as unbelievable as you.

(And if we stick to the bare text when it comes to dress, most of the people of ME would have to go around naked, lacking an explicit statement regarding wearing any sort of clothing).

Third Age Galadriel in LOTR seems so wise, and you can hardly imagine her otherwise. But in the context of The Sil, the difference in the 1st and 3rd Age Galadriel is also that by LOTR she is tired; she accepts defeat, she no longer wants to fight the windmills of time, and this repeated acceptance humbles her. The question is - will this be evident from the show's backstory? Or is it going to be "Galadriel was foolhardy and high spirited and brash, but then she grew out of it and became calm and wise"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Just a trailer! Any half intelligent producer with the slightest clue of the work they are expropriating should have at least made a trailer that wouldn't alienate readers. And from what I've read elsewhere, I am not the only one who finds these cute little fan-fic deviations to be flat-out juvenile Mary-Sue level scripting.
I mean, to be fair, often trailers end up as the worst representation of a movie, and if you wanna convince someone not to watch a movie, show them the trailer. I don't know how this paradox happens.

But yes. Absolutely expecting juvenile level character arcs and plot development. And, I mean, in the event that some of it isn't that - I would be pleasantly surprised.