View Single Post
Old 02-20-2022, 01:56 PM   #64
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
I'd also just like to point out the criticism of depicting a young Galadriel being an armored up fighter smells of sexism when the same criticism isn't made that depicts Elrond as a fighter.

While it's true Elrond is mentioned a few times being in a position of command, leading an army, or being second-in-command to Gil-galad's forces in the Last Alliance, there is actually no description of him fighting, as in performing the action of "fighting." Galadriel is specifically mentioned to having "fought fiercely against Feanor" in his attack on Alqualonde.

Elrond is in a position of commanding an army (but being a leader of an army in battle doesn't necessarily mean you physically fought in that battle), so I think it's a fair assumption to make that he would have fought, or at least be armored and wielding a weapon to fight if he had to. However, those are just assumptions we make, there's no actual text describing Elrond physically fought anyone in the Last Alliance and Siege of Barad-dur. He says that him and Cirdan stood with Gil-galad when Gil-galad wrestled Sauron, but that's the only action described. Actually something that's associated to Elrond more is he's mentioned as being a skilled healer, arguably the best healer, so one could easily assume he was at the battle in the capacity of being a medic/healer (and 2nd in command). That would be another assumption, but my point being there's more textual evidence to have a warrior, armored up Galadriel than there is of Elrond...yet I don't ever hear anyone griping about Elrond's armored up depiction in PJ's films.