View Single Post
Old 09-11-2006, 09:34 AM   #357
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:
Here's an interesting question. does anyone else get the impression that in Middle-earth the Men are more attuned to Free Will and having to take on board the responsibility of making the right choces while the Elves are much more gloomy and seem to think more things are 'fated'? I get this impression, and it maybe has something to do with the nature of mortality?
Lal,

Interesting comment. There are a couple of ways to view this, I believe. One of the possibilities is to think about Elves and Men in terms of their relationship with history.

One of the things that strikes me about Middle-earth is that most Men of the Third Age actually knew so very little about the origin of the universe or the early history of Man, even when expressed in mythic terms. With the exception of characters like Faramir or Aragorn who were direct descendents of the Numenoreans, most men/hobbits had limited knowledge about the "actual" origins of their world. The names of the Valar did not even register in their heads. One wonders, for example, whether a hobbit like Sam had even uttered the name of Varda before he left the Shire. It's true that hobbits and Rohirrim and, I suspect, other men knew the recent history of their own peoples, which was then couched in terms of family genealogy or deceased ancestors gathered together in a mead hall. But that's a lot different than having a wider understanding of past ages, both the accomplishments and mistakes.

The Elves on the other hand had carefully preserved their history. They were vitally aware of every mistake they had made as well as the role of the Valar and of Morgoth in the crafting of Arda. Such history can be a heavy burden: to see mistake after mistake made, and little indication that the pattern is ever going to be broken. Surely this had something to do with the Elves' negative attitude. The fact that some of them had actually lived for thousands of years and witnessed the various atrocities didn't make this any easier.

When I finish reading parts of the Silm, I am downright depressed. It seems that nothing goes right no matter how the Elves tried; they are trapped in their past mistakes. (LotR is the one exception to this in the Legandarium in that it is at least a partial, temporary victory.)

In some ways men were "blessed" by their relative ignorance. Not knowing how many failures there'd been in the past, they were foolish enough to try again and not give in to fatalism. Certainly, one of the most optomistic of the free peoples--the hobbits--had the least knowledge of the past. This shouldn't come as a surprise. In our own world, we have seen Afro-Americans "worn down" by the memories of slavery and Jews who are still dealing with the horrors of the Holocaust. Things like this affect how people react and think; the Elves are no exception.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 09-11-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote