View Single Post
Old 05-14-2002, 08:49 AM   #9
Nar
Wight

Nar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The ring had no power over Tom because he did not desire power for himself. That's why he was 'the master.' Don't ask me to explain how 'no desire for power' goes with being 'the master' --seems to be a Zen kind of idea, and I'm not qualified to explain Buddhism-- nor was Tolkien, as far as I know-- I think it's a convergence of like ideas responding to the same world.

Tom seems to have been intended by Tolkien to be a nature spirit, the spirit of the Shire or of Middle Earth. OF course, he was also an engima which Tolkien did not wish to explain.

I personally find that Tom's lines are much improved by viewing him as a conduit for Illuvatar's apologia: Sorry, can't help you on the way, 'Tom has his house to mind, and Goldberry is waiting.' There's that explanation of existential suffering under an omnipotent God I'd been waiting for!

Of course, I do not for a minute believe Tolkien intended it that way. It's just a private moment of applicability for me-- Tom speaking as the secret fire in the world, explaining Illuvatar's point of view, a kind of green version of the voice from the whirlwind. (Book of Job-- sorry for the Bible reference, please don't kill me, I see many different areas of applicability in addition to the Bible)

Thus, I view Tom as Tolkien's nature spirit, not to be wrecked with 'too much information!' and also in my own way, chuckling quietly at how much my favorite author put into his book, willy-nilly.

I'm still searching the archives for the perfect 'Tom! Controversy!!' thread and the perfect 'Balrog! Wings, or not?!' thread -- no! don't help! It's a quest, see? If I was to get 'deus ex machina' help, my higher self can't happen!
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote