View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 10:37 PM   #6
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Annunfuiniel's Character - Rosco Woodfarer

NAME: Rosco Woodfarer

RACE: Hobbit (Fallohide)

WEAPONS: Rosco prefers a bow and quiver of arrows. He does own a short sword (a rare genuine hobbit blade; in those rough days Hobbits still knew how to forge weapons) but hasn’t used it for almost five years.

APPEARANCE: Very tall (4'4'') for a hobbit even though hobbits were generally taller back then. Because of his pure Fallohide blood he has light brown, wavy hair. Although his face and hands are tanned, his skin is otherwise fair. Under his eyebrows, which are a shade darker than his hair, sparkles a pair of deep blue eyes. Those who have met him only in business say that nothing but earnestness can be read from his glance, but friends know better - a smile never stays solely on his lips but manifests itself also in his eyes. His other features are further quite un-hobbitlike: disregarding his furry feet, curly hair and a bit of a broad nose, he bears an astonishing resemblance to the Elves.

He likes his clothes to be forest green or the grey of the old tree trunks but otherwise dressing isn’t one of his priorities - a matter on which neighbors sometimes comment. An old hooded cloak, the grey patched one, rarely hangs idle on the rack for he uses it every time, everywhere.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: He is thoughtful and kind, ready to listen to your troubles and help the best he can. As a leader and judge he’s stern but just. Only five years have passed since the Hobbits fled from the clutches of the Witch King and the memory of their desperate flight still shadows his thoughts from time to time - no one needs to remind him that in tough situations hesitation may cost lives as well as rash orders.

He’s considerate almost without exception when it comes to hobbits, but the prejudices and gruffness of the Bree-folk have made him see red and reveal his weaknesses: sharp tongue, his most feared weapon on occasion, has more than once gotten him into trouble. In verbal battle, 'retreat' doesn’t appear in his vocabulary.

But when peace is on the land he’s a merry fellow who loves to wander in the woods day and night, then to return home for a good meal and drink in front of his hearth. And here we come to his last 'oddity': no one knows exactly why - maybe due to his wandering nature and his obligations as the Hobbit leader? - but he’s still a bachelor. Sometimes a feeling of loneliness creeps into his heart at nightfall but then, snatching his cloak from the rack, he heads to the forest, with the stars as his companions - and the next day he delights in the sight of children playing in the dusty village streets.

HISTORY: Rosco was born in TA 1258 to Bardo and Mimosa Woodfarer in a small hobbit settlement on the banks of river Hoarwell (Mitheithel), some fifty miles north from the Last Bridge. He has a brother, _____ who’s five years younger than he [and twin sisters Britnie and Goldy, eight years younger (?)].

After tradition the Woodfarers had ever been the leaders of the mixed Harfoot and Fallohide clan that formed when the first Fallohides came to Eriador over the Misty Mountains (ca. 1150 TA). So when the times grew dark again and the hobbits had to leave their homes (1300 TA) Rosco’s father Bardo took to guide his folk to safety. And he nearly made it...

Bardo Woodfarer perished in an orc-raid and so it was Rosco’s bitter part to take his father’s position at so an early stage. Through many hardships and losses the hobbits finally came to Bree-land under his lead and found others of their kind. On the perilous journey Rosco had gained renown and was soon recognized as the leader of all Bree hobbits - though at times of peace his duties were few.

Annunfuiniel's post for Rosco:

Rosco stood on the doorstep of his hobbit hole and breathed deep the fresh morning air. The sun was still low on the eastern sky and the wind had not yet woken. What a fine day to go hunting! the hobbit mused and turned to get his bow from inside when suddenly a rattle of cartwheels reached his ears and made him glance back.

A plump pony trudged slowly up the road from Staddle towards Rosco’s burrow and the small red cart behind the beast swayed gently from side to side with every move. On the driver's seat there sat a grey figure that to a stranger would have seemed to be nodding in sleep. But Rosco recognised the comer and smiled.

“Good morning, dear old ____!” Rosco called out and raised his hand in greeting; “You’re early on the road. Going to town?”

“Good morning to you too, Mr. Woodfarer. The early bird catches the worm, they say – and the early hobbit gets a second breakfast says I. It sure looks like a fine day coming; yesterday’s rain was just what we needed! And yes, I’m on me way to Bree to visit me son and his family – he keeps a little shop now, you know; 'What ye can imagine that lad can carve' I used to tell all and now he’s tryin’ to make a living out of that art. And then I must run some errands: sell this and buy that, you see. Though I must say there’s not much to sell… But here we go again! I just rattle on and almost forget the reason for me call!” The old hobbit rummaged around his bags and baskets; “Where did I put it… Ah, there!” he handed out a small, warm package.

“Me wife told me to give this to you. 'Take this bread to Mr. Woodfarer,' she says; 'for bread doesn’t grow in trees and yet he walks in the woods all days long. We must take care of him!'”

The grey hobbit grinned; “'Take care of him?' I says to her; 'Mr. Woodfarer’s no lad anymore; surely he knows how to look after himself!' But did she take heed of me words? Why of course not!”

Rosco listened to this flood of speech smilingly. But he knew well the value of the gift and thought hard how he could repay the old hobbit couple. Finally he had a chance to speak; “Thank your kind wife for the bread and for her concern.” The delicious smell of the fresh baking flowed to Rosco’s nostrils and he had an idea. “But tell me: would it ease her heart if she did the baking for me from now on? I was thinking maybe three or four times a week? I would pay her what I’ve paid to the bakery before.”

_____ took his hat in his hand and bowed his head; “Thank you, Sir; I’ll ask her. But I’d say she’ll be only pleased to hear this offer.”

Rosco watched as the cart and pony disappeared down the hill and then he stepped inside. Soon he appeared again, wrapped in his grey cloak and carrying his bow, quiver hanging from his belt. He headed towards the sunrise and soon vanished into the green shadows of the wood.

[ September 08, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]