View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 08:02 AM   #5
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
I really like the shot of Aragorn in the extended version as he's riding along the path towards the haunted mountain - he looks so creepy as the camera looks up on him. he almost looks like a 'spirit' or one of the 'dead' himself....

I love the way the camera pans from right to left on the title above the door that Legolas translates. really clever idea, showing an old arcance language - why does it have to read from left to right? that's what I love about these films, the little things, the attention to detail that you might miss on first viewing but can delve into on subsequent viewings.

Now on to my 'least favourite' part of the whole Trilogy (yes my cup is half full, not half empty lol)

Gimli treading on the skulls and blowing away the 'spirit' that gathers around him. totally unfunny, cringe worthy part that totally undermines him, breaks the tension of the scene, and adds nothing to the film. Horrible moment!

I can live with the paths of the dead scene being put into the movie as it happens. 'looking back' at the events works in a book sense, and even in a mini series tv sense, but wouldn't work movie wise. Although I don't like the whole skulls falling avalanche bit - just doesn't work for me....
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote