View Single Post
Old 10-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #43
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Actually, if you still want an explanation, here it is: I feel inevitably inclined to sympathize with characters who had a chance to be good, but who became bad instead.
A sentiment I can sympathize with. That is the essence of some forms of tragedy: a guy who could be good instead becomes bad (eg. Macbeth, Star Wars). And it's sad to see the character turn to the "Dark Side".

The bone I had to pick with you about Maeglin was not in this sentiment, but in what you did with it. For me, feeling regretful about the character turning bad is not yet reason to find ways to get around admitting they were bad; not a reason to excuse their behaviour, turn written facts on their heads, or run imlausible what-if scenarios. In essence, we don't disagree - just in outcome.