View Single Post
Old 02-01-2002, 06:19 PM   #30
Yaish
Pile O'Bones

Yaish has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Yaish
Sting

For Tolkien fans (any here?) I would suggest Elizabeth Moon's "The Deed of Paksennarion" as well as the pre-quel books, Oath of Gold and Liars Oath. Very Tolkienesque feel, yet not a rip off. Great main charactor in all the books that you can really get behind. "Deed" (really a trilogy) is by far my favorite fantasy books, even over "Rings".
Also good is the Bazil Broketail series by Christopher Rowley. I truly endorse these books for everyone to read.
Another good fantasy series is David Drakes "Lord of the Isles". Its four books so far, and I have only read three. Excellent books though.
For Sci-fi I would suggest David Webers "Honor Harrington" books, and there are a ton of them out by now. Also anything bu Robert Heinlein, though I suspect much of this crowd wont like him. He tackles social/ethical/religious issues in his books with consumate skill and not comimg off as preachy. His view is mostly the atheist/humanist one though, so perhaps C.S. Lewis fans wont like him much.
Harry Turtledove also writes some excellent books, both in the fantasy and sci-fi realm. His "Misplaced Legion" and Videssos novels are excellent fantasy. He also wrote "Werenight" and its sequels, also excellent books. For Terry Pratchet style humor from him try "The Case of the Toxic Spelldump" All of Turtledoves alternate history is very good too, though I confess to not having read much of it.
God I love books! I could go on, but I'll stop here.
Oh, one more. Piers Anthony's "Incarnations of Immortality" series. Again, excellent.
Yaish is offline   Reply With Quote