View Single Post
Old 11-21-2022, 03:31 AM   #28
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
Vinyar Tengwar is now available on Amazon (at least in the US) in packs (I believe "bound" in some way, though they are short pamphlets) of 5 issues, FYI. I have several that I've acquired over the years, but I do not have VT 48.
Oh! They're even better in the UK - 5 volumes of 10 issues each, available on Prime for next-day(-ish) delivery.

Sooo... from a primary-source perspective, are they worth it? Looking through the title pages for the final volume on the Gateway, it contains:
  • Osanwe-kenta
  • Something from the Shibboleth
  • Notes on 'Ore'
  • Rivers & Beacon Hills
  • Five Catholic prayers
  • The Lord's Prayer
  • Another prayer
  • Additions to the Etymologies
  • Eldarin Hands, Fingers, and Numerals "and related writings"
  • Five volitive inscriptions
  • The Turin Wrapper

... most of which is now in NoME, at least in some form. So is there enough that's of interest to anyone other than scholars of early Quenya (sorry, Etymologies, but you're very dry) to make it worth the money?

(I know there's also discussion, analysis, and articles, moreso in the earlier issues, but first and foremost I'm interested in the Tolkien.)

hS