View Single Post
Old 06-23-2022, 09:27 AM   #10
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
PJ's films, flawed as they were (in my eyes, at least), did display a basic respect for Tolkien and the spirit of what he created. I have no belief Amazon is concerned with that.
Did you ever run into Philosopher@Large/Bellatrys back in the day? Her complaint about the Jackson movies was in part exactly this - "I walked away speechless from ROTK-M, but not from awe, I fear. More like sick with horror at this travesty, this "Triumph of Death" played out on the screen, being hailed as faithful to the spirit of the books and indeed superior to the texts." I've archived her commentaries if you feel like reminding yourself how much some people despised the Jackson movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan View Post
My concern is that Fall of Numenor will merely compile and rehash what has already been published in the Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, HoME and NoME. While it may be nice to have the material assembled together in one place (particularly for those who do not wish to trudge through 12 volumes of HoME), a lack of any coherent narrative, like Children of Hurin as opposed to Fall of Gondolin for example, would be disappointing, at least to me.
That's the stated goal of the book, though: "Edited by well-known Tolkien expert Brian Sibley, the book collects together J.R.R. Tolkien’s writings of the Second Age. Sibley has gone through the entire published works by Tolkien, and provides new introductions and commentaries to bring all the pieces of Tolkien’s original content together."

The release says it's being structured using the Tale of Years. I guess it'll be something like the Annals from various parts of HoME, with some years or periods being skimmed over, and others going full narrative (Aldarion). So not like any of the three Great Tales, but something different again.

hS