View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #11
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I agree with everyone that this topic calls for rank speculation, on the order of what would have happened if Caeser had not been assassinated or if Napoleon had prevailed at Waterloo. We have no way of knowing what Tolkien was considering when Gwindor suggested that Turin's doom could be avoided if he rescued Finduilas. Nonetheless, I am impressed at the thoughtful suggestions posted here, and add my own comments.

First, in order to avert his doom (note that the word used was doom and not curse; there could be a slight significance there), I do not feel that Turin would have needed to wed Finduilas. It would have been sufficient for him to rescue her. Turin would not have fallen under Glaurung's binding spell, he would not have gone to Dor Lomin and would not have slain Brodda, he would not have come to Brethil and would not have stumbled upon Nienor (who would not have needed to ride with her mother to Nargothrond because Turin was not trapped there). Presumably, Turin would have needed to bring Finduilas to some safe haven whether he wedded her or not, probably Doriath. There he would have been reunited with Morwen and Nienor and his doom is unravelled. Yet he and his family would remain cursed and, more importantly, what about Glaurung? Another line of speculation results. Glaurung and a great army are sent against Doriath and Melian, etc., etc...

Turin's tale is a tragedy. He is a great hero caught up in events beyond his control and beyond his depth. He is cursed. Notwithstanding his curse, he manages to do great things, even though much of what he does seems to turn ill. A great part of the story is his relationship with Glaurung and the slaying of the worm. I do not think that Tolkien would suggest that this might not occur, that Turin's "doom" would not find him if he did or refrained from doing anything. Gwindor's prophecy is a late addition to Turin's tale. I do not think that it does anything for the story; the tale is equally tragic if Turin ignores Gwindor's dying wish that he rescue Finduilas without linking the rescue to an undoing of his curse or doom. To the contrary, to suggest that a simple "good deed" could contravene Morgoth's curse is a bit too blithe a solution. And what of the fact that even Turin's attempts to do good are turned awry by the curse? The idea that rescuing Finduilas would avert Turin's doom simply does not fit.

If Tolkien had ever assembled the "final draft" of Narn i Hin Hurin, I suggest that Gwindor's prophecy would not have been included; the earlier iteration of his dying words would have been used. Tolkien was simply too careful an author to let something slip in that seems to run contrary to the themes of that tale. I used the word "jarring" in my initial post. The use of that word was intentional. Gwindor's prophecy is jarring; it doesn't fit.