View Single Post
Old 01-10-2004, 10:32 AM   #19
Gorthol
Animated Skeleton

Gorthol has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Gorthol
Sting

Quote:
Let us first bear in mind that the works of Tolkien sometimes disagree with each other.
Well, that's all I need to know, cause these 2 citats presented in this thread is clearly contradictary and thus you could call it a "flaw" in the history of ME..
Quote:
Saruman is not one of the Eldar. He is a so-called Wizard - a Maia in the shape of an old man. Elves, dwarves and men ar just as ordinary - or extraordinary - as any other race of ME, be that Ents, Hobbits or Orcs or whatevers.
Man, you misunderstood me, I know very well the origin of Saruman. And no, I don't consider Maiar as an ordinary race of Middle-earth at all, they lived in Aman most of them and very few ever came to the Hither Lands. I think it would have been quite easy to understand what I meant, if you really had tried.

Quote:
The accounts in 'Unfinished Tales' and LOTR are manifestly incompatible and there is nothing to be gained by far-fetched attempts to reconcile them.
The accounts we were talking about comes from 'Unfinished Tales' and Silmarillion. I was merely telling you how the text might be interpreted, maybe far-feteched.. but it was merely a try to come up with an explanation and understand the contradictary texts.
Quote:
..the three elven were the only ones not influenced by Sauron when they were made. They were made by Celebrimbor alone.
The Three were also them influenced by Sauron, made by Celebrimbor alone yes, but still influenced by Sauron.

c. 1500 The Elven-smiths instructed by Sauron reach the height of their skill. They begin the forging of the Rings of Power.
c. 1590 The Three Rings are completed in Eregion.

It was in Eregion that the counsels of Sauron were most gladly received, for in that land the Noldor desired ever to increase the skill and subtlety of their works... Therefore they hearkened to Sauron, and they learned of him many things, for his knowledge was great. In those days the smiths of Ost-in-Edhil surpassed all that they had contrived before; and they took thought, and they made Rings of Power. But Sauron guided their labours, and he was aware of all that they did; for his desire was to set a bond upon the Elves and to bring them under his vigilance... and he came against them with open war, demanding that all the rings should be delivered to him, since the Elven-smiths could not have attained to their making without his lore and counsel.