View Single Post
Old 01-01-2003, 08:02 PM   #28
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

I really should stay out of these hair color conversations, but I just can't.

To me Legolas has almost always been dark-haired. My reason is a little whacked from the whole genetics idea. I always pictured him as having dark hair because he's a Wood Elf and Wood Elves live in the woods where there is a lot of brown because of the trunks of trees- so it seems natural that dark hair would be nice natural camoflage. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] But you must remember that I formed this opinion when I was about three years old.

Recently though, I've walked off the beaten path and gone straight for the idea that Legolas has red hair. This has happened for several reasons. The first is that Tolkien didn't say that the Sindarin and/or Silvan elves couldn't have red hair. Also, Maedhros and two (or was it just one) of his brothers had red hair (I will never forgive Tolkien for giving Maedhros the nickname of Coppertop, which I loathe, as I have had that name directed at me) and Nerdanel had reddish hair, I think. They were Noldorin, but they were still Elves. Also, what better way to stand out in a group of people with dark hair than to have red hair? Also, as a redhead, I like to make my favorite characters redheads too. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I like my redheaded Legolas. Red hair looks good on my mental image of him.

[ January 01, 2003: Message edited by: Cúdae ]