View Single Post
Old 09-06-2003, 08:47 PM   #28
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Shield

I've found many parallels myself, as far as Christianity and Tolkien's works. Actually, I probably wouldn't like the series as much if it weren't for the inherent themes of Christianity that prevail in the books and films.

Some comments: I find it interesting the marriage of mythology allowing for many "gods" with Eru, who I do believe is the God figure. (Obviously) But I think there's a lot more to be gleaned from the series than just the beginning.

For instance, while one certain person does not embody the figure of Christ, you find traits of him in different characters. Gandalf equals the Prophet, one of three offices held by Christ. Frodo represents the Priest, carrying the Sin away from the "camp". Aragorn is, who else? The king. He brings not only defeat to the enemy, but healing to those who are injured. Aragorn also makes a great parallel as a Last Adam in comparison to the First Adam (Romans 5:-21 speaks on the subject of Jesus equals Last Adam, etc.) which was Isildúr, the first to succumb to the temptation of the Ring. Aragorn rejects the Ring and goes on to restore the world of men to its original greatness. Not to mention the fact that Aragorn had to pass through the Paths of the Dead, sort of defeating death by exiting them successfully.

Of course, there is more to Gandalf than just Prophet. Not only did he sacrifice himself to save the Fellowship (yes, and I suppose it's an accident that when Gandalf tumbles into the abyss of Khazad-Dûm, he falls in the shape of a cross!), but when he was killed, he stayed dead for three days, resurrecting at the peak of Zirakzigal on the third day.

There's also some parallels I read in The Book of Lost Tales 1, about how Illúvatar created Man to have the ability to make his own music, even if it be against the designs of Eru. Similar to Man being created with a Free Will.

I should mention an overall theme in the book (and this was put into the movie too). Many things that happened were governed by Providence. Bilbo was "meant" to find the Ring and Frodo was "meant" to have it.

Of course, there are also the plain virtues that exist, such as mercy.

Lastly, I find it interesting that there is such an obvious line between Good and Evil in Middle-Earth. The only ones who try to question Good or Evil are the ones who are trying to subject one to evil purposes. Other than that, everyone seems to know what the Right thing to do is.

Anyway, sorry to make this post so long, but being a Christian, I find lots of enjoyment in picking out the themes found in Tolkien's book, whether he meant them or not!
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16