View Single Post
Old 08-17-2003, 02:28 AM   #13
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not going to join this discussion overly much, just until my debate with Mans has conluded itself (probably with neither himself nor -- certainly not [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] -- myself having changed our opinions, but all the same).

Quote:
there could only be one God or god or god-like creature...
Exactly what I said, and this is Illuvatar. I may as well copy and paste the sections of my post that said this, actually (sorry about this but I think it summed it up ok)
Quote:
Illuvatar, clearly, is the One God of Ea, with the Valar and Maiar a lower order of spirits and proceeding from this One God. They are not gods in [anything like =)] the same sense that Illuvatar is... however, they are not by any means Eru's or true Gods (with, as you'll notice, a capital 'G').
There really should be a different word for the two 'types' of 'god' we are talking about. One, the One, is Eru, the real God; the other is an Earth-deity, similar to the 'gods' of Olympus. There can indeed be no more than one Illuvatar or Illuvatar-like 'creature' (funny way to put it though [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]) in Tolkien's work.

(What you say about the difference between Ancient Greek gods and Valar is true. They are not the same thing -- the point of my post was that neither are they the same as angels.[/i])

Since time is short for me here, if I may, I'll just give one more quote of yours which I didn't quite understand:
Quote:
And Gwaihir, I am opposed to you calling htem god, not calling eagles angels, and I would appreciate some change in attitude.
I am no more 'calling' the Ainur gods as I am 'calling' the eagles angels. A simple comparison is all I see between them, and neither of these analogies directly represents the other. I am not accusing either of being either, as I in turn would say that you are doing with the Valar-angels paralell.
If you aren't opposed to my likening of eagles to angels, you must have changed your mind about it... you certainly were, at any rate. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] But that's fine, of course, and if you like I will try not to include eagles in this thread.

Ok, that's it from me for now.