Thread: Sarumans Orcs
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2002, 11:06 PM   #10
Manwe Sulimo
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Manwe Sulimo has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Manwe Sulimo
Sting

"Uruk-hai" was not the plural form of "Uruk".

Quote:
'There are Orcs, very many of them,' he said. 'And some are large and evil: black Uruks of Mordor....'
Quote:
A troop of heavy-armed uruks from Barad-dűr charged into the Durthang line and threw them into confusion.
While there were Uruk-hai in Mordor:

Quote:
'Who's blame's that?' said the soldier. 'Not mine. That comes from Highter Up. First they say it's a great Elf in bright armor, then it's a sort of small dwarf-man, then it must be a pack of rebel Uruk-hai; or maybe it's all the lot together.'
it isn't clear as to whether they were Saruon's own troops, or rather the "rebel" meaning as part of Saruman's troops in Mordor. Since there were troops of the Red Eye west of Anduin, there's no reason to assume that there weren't troops of the White Hand east of Anduin.

Quote:
'We are the fighting Uruk-hai! We slew the great warrior. We took the prisoners. We are the servants of Saruman the Wise, the White Hand: the hand that gives us man's-flesh to eat. We came out of Isengard, and led you here, and we shall lead you back by the way we choose. I am Uglúk. I have spoken.'
This shows that the Uruk-hai came originally out of Isengard and their master was Saruman and only Saruman; further proof that they were his creations (or mutations). Were they originally bred by Sauron (like the Olog-hai), they would have returned to Mordor with Merry and Pippin, instead of trying to get to Isengard, a more dangerous route.

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Manwe Sulimo ]