View Single Post
Old 09-01-2003, 01:51 PM   #8
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Quote:
I have been writing since I could lift a pencil. And fantasy has been my passion even longer. Fairy tales and Robin Hood and King Arthur and any mythologies and Science Fiction have all but consumed me.
That's just like me. I've always been fascinated by King Arthur, when I was little I used to spend ages making my own books out of folded pieces of paper. I wrote stories about my 'puppy in my pockets', I hammered away for ages at my grandmas old trypewriter. I made up a fantasy land that my cuddly animals would visit. I always loved fantasy. I read all the Narnia books and one Christmas my mum got me the Fellowship of the Ring, and I loved it.

Quote:
I've also observed that those who are able to highly appreciate Tolkien's writing (that is, people who don't say "Tolkien's books are stooopid) happen to have, er, above average intelligence (or higher) - and therefore, the capacity to come up with great writing themselves
I guess that your idea is true in some people, but doesn't apply to everyone. But I know that not everyone can enjoy Tolkien, my mum doesn't like it (too many funny names, too many characters, too many places, weird languages) and all my friends say 'booooring'.

And Meela, I totally understand your 'muddled paragraph'. And I can identify with you as well. I tried to post in the Books forum but got moved to Novices and Newcomers. I can never analyse Tolkien's work too deeply, I feel that too much delving can spoil it. And I don't consider myself to be very intelligent. I recently got my GCSE results and the only think I really did well in was English. The only A* I got was in creative writing, while most of my friends got a*'s in most of their subjects. My other grades were mostly c's, but with a D in maths (oh poo.) So I guess I've gotta be good at something.

But I do love writing, and it's been my ambition since I was about 9 to get my work published. And although I have always wanted to be a writer Tolkien influenced me to write fantasy. I think to create your own world is so amazing, and to let other people share it is better still.