View Single Post
Old 09-15-2023, 02:14 PM   #26
Val Balmer
Pile O'Bones

Val Balmer has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
You might have expected it: I disagree (in parts) with your “simple” reading.
Indeed I was expecting it, but what a dull discussion would be if we all agree?

Quote:
- Poem lines 16 – 26: I strongly disagree! Even so it is a correct reading that Mīm is obsessed with the work, in the description of the artefacts even in the German translation the beauty shines through that does fit to Mīm’s earlier work, not the ‘Spuk’ of his later tries. And that he was obsessed even in his earlier work is confirmed in Prose §1.
One possible interpretation here might be: he has just found is new home, he thinks about the past leaving the cave, he spits on the ground and sings about what he intend to make. Later, in the prose, he realises he is not able to do so.

It is also possible that this part is still in the past, but we loose the connection with the "Sand" of the first line (an important word as linked with rime). On the other hand, in my interpretation at least, the piece would become: Poem: [Present] + [Past] | Prose: [Past] + [Present]...kind of simmetrical...

Quote:
By the way: I (now) have read your article and find it alighting. Specially the outer chronology is use full.
But I hesitate about your calculation of Mīm’s age. The reference to him being 200 years old in line 6 comes after the time of Mīm’s homeless wandering is mentioned. And from the inner logic of what else is told in Mīms Klage that time should come after he was robbed of his treasure and smoked out of his ‘deep home’.
I agree, that's what I meant in my previous post: I should redo my calculations -200 years at least.

One possibility I discarded when I checked that was that the people of Beor had chased the petty dwarves from Tarn Aeluin. I need to check again the chronology to see if, with the new hypotheses, that could be a fit...

Quote:
If you like, here is my very much fan-fictional take on Mīm’s life:
I like this story! I am sure a great fan fiction might come of it...
Val Balmer is offline   Reply With Quote