View Single Post
Old 02-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #793
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
“Please once again accept my apologies, master hobbit. I should have held my temper better. Yet the mood has passed, thankfully, and I should hope that naught more will rile me, for I do not wish to cause any trouble here.”

Dick listened seriously to the ranger's repeated expression of regret and then he shook his head. “Bad business, sir, it was bad business. But it wasn’t your fault. No, indeed, you mustn’t blame yourself. You were only defending the lady’s honor, and that’s how it ought to be. Yes, as my grandmum always says-”

But what his grandmum always said, Arandon never found out, for at that moment, another man entered. He was another one who, like Arandon, said nothing to anybody when he entered. Instead, he made for the nearest seat (better than the nearest corner, Dick thought) and pulled out a book, and then called for something with which to write. Dick glanced around and saw another customer, a hobbit customer, get up and answer the request. Well, that was good. Dick only had one pen and he didn’t much feel like lending it out.

“As I was going to say, don’t worry about it at all. What’s done is done and no ill has come of it. Oh, look, another customer.” This said half to himself. Thank goodness it was a hobbit and not another big person.

“Good day to y-” the new customer began in a bold sort of voice. Arandon swiveled about and looked. Aeron also turned her head. The new hobbit’s confidence wavered, Dick could see it. He raised his eyebrow expectantly. “I mean, good day to you, sirs and ladies!” A momentary, awkward pause, and then Arandon and Aeron turned back to the counter, Dick refilled their mugs of ale, and the other customers went on with their breakfasts.

“A mug of beer if you will!” called the new hobbit. Dick looked quickly in his direction. He wasn’t even looking towards him or the bar, but rather going towards the man latest come.

“Hmph. One of those customers,” Dick said to himself. What exactly he meant was unclear even to himself, but he didn’t much like it when customers were too preoccupied to talk to him squarely. He filled the mug and carried it to the hobbit. “Seredic Boffin, Innkeeper, at your service,” he said, placing the ale before him. “If there is anything else you need, please let me know. And you, sir,” to the man, “is there anything I can get for you, sir?”

Last edited by Folwren; 02-11-2011 at 11:52 AM.