View Single Post
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM   #773
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Dick pretended not to listen to the two rangers' conversation while he puttered about behind the counter. He frowned a little at first, for the conversation was not going quite as well as he hoped. But then when Arandon asked Aeron how she came to be a ranger, a contented look returned to Dick’s face. Not only would he be interested in hearing the response, he also knew that it was a good starter for conversation, provided that she answered it straightforward.

Yet it was not to be. Before Aeron even had a chance to open her mouth to either answer or refuse to give a proper reply, the door burst open and a blast of cold air flowed into the room. Dick looked up, and any cheerful words of welcome and teasing remonstrance for letting the cold in died on his lips. The figure in the doorway made no movement to shut the door, and did not look at all apologetic for the cold he was allowing to rush in unchecked.

“Shut the door, will you?” Dick shouted finally. “What d’ye mean letting in the cold air and letting the warm air out? Do you mean to freeze us all? Make up your mind and come in or stay out.”

“Not a very welcoming reception,” the man grumbled, reaching for the door and shutting it with a bang. “I’d almost think you didn’t want my business.”

Dick looked at the man’s sour expression as he clumped over to the bar. He knew this type. This was a brawling type, and he didn’t like that type at all. “Maybe I don’t want your business.”

The man smirked a crookedly and leaned his elbow down on the counter. He let a coin clatter onto the counter top. “Give me a pot of beer, innkeeper, and make it fast.”

Dick frowned, but obeyed nonetheless. The newcomer turned to look at his neighbors. His eyes flicked past Arandon and settled on Aeron. “Well,” he said, the insolent smile spreading. “If it isn’t a female ranger. I’ll be danged. Caught any villains this last month?” He laughed. Dick set the mug of ale down before him sharply to demonstrate his disapproval, and the man turned to grasp it. “Or have you ever, I should say,” he added half under his breath and brought the flagon to his lips.

Last edited by Folwren; 01-11-2011 at 01:32 PM.