View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #59
Ardent
Wight

Ardent has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I can't remember if this was brought up before, but what do you think about Disney's happily ever after endings? Would Tolkien have agreed?
Disney studios were fairly typical for film makers of the time. The happy ending is what people want so that is what is still mass produced. Tolkien's writings contain happy endings too but not sanitised like Disney or Hollywood. 'Closure' in real life is never so neat and tidy as 'ever after', and JRR reflects this.

I wonder what Tolkien had in mind when watching Disney films. If he was hoping for someone with the resources and creativity to adapt his stories I do not believe he'd have seen any film up to the standards needed. Even studios that had the financial resources did not have the directors who could resist the tampering of their backers, while those like Disney and Ray Harryhausen, who might have provided the effects, would have been every bit as disapointing in their handling of mythology.

If Tolkien disliked Disney perhaps it was the result of disappointment.