View Single Post
Old 11-25-2000, 05:25 PM   #24
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: How many people have read UT, or HoME?

I am w/ taimar. UT s a must if you loved the Silmarillion and the appendices.
10-12 o HoME are also essential to the lover of elven and lore and stories although be forewarned that the Myth's transformed in 11[?] is a veritable pandora's box [see Silm section on the downs under the Myth's transformed thread]. as for the Books of lost tales I loved them when they first came out especially the parts about eriol/aelfwine and the conclusion in vol. 2. the stories are usually far different in tone and detail than the Pub. Silmarillion.
3-9 I have only gone through cursorily . I am lazy when it comes to poetry so I didn't get far w/ 3.
I have found some great stuff in the lotr volumes but you really have to wade through alot of stuff that JRRT wisely rewrote.An UT style compendium of the better LOTR edits would have spared many a forest and still given us the best.But folks like Saulotus,Tar Elenion and Michael Martinez seem able to put nearly every footote to interesting use.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000076>lindil</A> at: 2/14/01 3:47:24 am
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote