View Single Post
Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 AM   #776
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The reaction of the ranger was admirable. “I will not allow you to speak thus – lease of all to one who is a protector of you and your kin in Bree.” How did he know where he was from? “For with the people in the north, you would have been harried by orcs and much else besides, I don’t doubt.” Ha! Extremely unlikely. Possibly they would deem it necessary to save the innocent people of the north from characters like him, but nobody needed to protect Ibin Grasserby. “You speak in scorn of someone you and I know not, and why do you do this? Simply because she is female? And yet I say to you that she has shown more bravery and honor by the age of five than you will show in your lifetime.” Ibin’s lip curved in a sneer, but the ranger ignored it. “The post of a Ranger is not a birthright, it must be earned and any with sense will never actively seek their anger. If your only words are those of poison, then hold your tongue, else I may see fit to remove it.”

A threat, by gum! Ibin reached under his coat and grasped his knife hilt, but then released it. No, there could be some fun here, and it wouldn’t do to kill anybody. Not when there were two of them, anyhow. He didn’t count the hobbits. He would hold his tongue and his patience for now and see if this ranger actually backed up his high and mighty words with deeds.

But instead of seeing if his challenge were answered, the ranger turned his back on Ibin and returned his attention to the woman. Ibin’s eyes stretched with disbelief. He was actually going to leave it at that? Expect Ibin to let it rest, did he?

“Now where were we?” the ranger asked the woman.

Ibin looked at her. Surely she wouldn’t answer. Surely she would know there was a fight brewing, and would seek to escape it, like most women would.

But she did. She provided them with a sad tale of mother and father wanting a boy and getting a girl instead. “I wanted to give my father the son he never had, which is why I became a ranger. There is no greater reason other than wanting to make my father, and my people, proud."

“Ha!” Ibin scoffed from behind Arandon. “I imagine he would have been prouder if his daughter had stayed in her place in the kitchen, rather than shaming him by taking the position of a man. I would have you know that most men don’t respect women who go traipsing about the countryside, endangering their honor and their reputation by pretending to be other than they really are.”