View Single Post
Old 08-25-2018, 06:57 PM   #31
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
But that just means you're arguing about what the definition of 'wings' is. My argument - and you're absolutely right that I agree that Durin's Bane doesn't appear to have physical wings - is that if it's all made of incorporeal shadow, then the appearance is the thing. They look like wings - therefore, they are wings, because it's all animate Shadow anyway.
Well, it is certainly possible that we're arguing nothing more than the definition of wings--that sort of philosophical turn would quite appeal to me. Nonetheless, though, I labour on to convey what I am trying to say:

The argument that "it looks like a thing, therefore it is a thing" simply doesn't work. If I say that you look like a doctor, I am also saying implicitly that you are NOT a doctor. Or, you might contend, you *are* a doctor and I am highlighting that you look like a doctor in order to convey that you appropriately appear the part. It does not at all appear to be the case to me that Tolkien is saying that the shadow's wings were like wings here because there was any doubt about it--it is far more probable to me that he is saying that the non-corporeal substance of the balrog loomed in the space and stretched LIKE wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
It looks like wings - therefore it is wings. Without being physical wings.
To say that "it is wings" (emphasis on the "is") takes us to the philosophical again, but I must disagree. To look like something is NOT the same as to be that thing. But most importantly, I don't think it can be demonstrated that the wing-like aspect of the balrog's appearance is a perduring element of that appearance. Were it demonstrable the balrog's shadow always looms "like wings," then I might be persuaded that the balrog has wings--but that is not yet demonstrated.