View Single Post
Old 04-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #16
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Actually, Moses was not horned. This comes from a mistranslation by Jerome in the Latin Vulgate Bible.
I was not saying if the text said whether he was or was not horned, but I was making a remark that interestingly, there can be people found who stand behind the opinion that he was horned. This is not the topic of this thread anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of the 7th Age View Post
First, exactly what is a "book"? Would JRRT's beloved medieval texts be excluded or included in such a framework?
I actually think that these responses differ from each other as much as individuals differ, I think there will be people who would like to nominate some medieval text or something - if they really liked the text, they would simply write it. If I liked something, I would write it there not caring what it is - as long as it is a written text. That of course also depends on what exactly was the question of the poll, whether f.ex. there was some closer determination like "a text of 50-1500 pages" or "a text which was issued in one book" (still, using the already named example, one could for example write just Psalms or something as part of Bible). I'll leave this to your imagination, but you see the lines along which I am thinking.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote