View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 12:59 PM   #36
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Boots Popping in...

I must admit that I haven't read the whole thread yet. But I would still like to comment one thing I found interesting...

Máedhros Wrote:
Quote:
Does Frodo has the will to destroy the Ring? This begins a whole series of actions that will put the quest of the destruction of the ring with Frodo but to me he was doomed to failed from the start, for how could he destroy the Ring, if he couldn't even throw it in his own fire in Bag End?
Interesting theory about being doomed from the start. I think, Frodo thought he was doomed when receiving the ring. I mean, isn't it obvious? He is a Hobbit. A little man who has no past of ever being much outside of the Shire, and then Gandalf tells him that he is going to save everyone from Sauron who will arise again as the Dark Lord. This is were I think Davem is trying to say that Frodo is self-centred and so on, because he offers the ring to Gandalf. However, as Orofaniel says (and others) he is just scared. Would it be natural for a Hobbit not to be scared in a situation like this, maybe? But what I think is perhaps the most important thing is what Máedhros pointed out about Frodo being doomed and not having the will. And in order to this, I would say that asking Gandalf to take the ring is the most HUMBLE and least egocentric thing he could ever do. I mean, if he already thinks he is doomed, why should he go with the Ring?

Quote:
“But I have so little of any of these things! You are wise and powerful. Will you not take the Ring?”
“No!” Gandalf cried, springing to his feet.

From Shadow of the Past (Bold; my own..)
Offering the Ring to Gandalf only points out that he cares about the Shirelings and what happens to them. In order not to fail (as he is doomed), he wants to pass the ring over to someone who actually might have a chance. By saying that Gandalf is wise and powerful, it is as if he looks at himself of no good use in the quest Gandalf has laid before him.

But then, Gandalf denies the Ring, and says that only Frodo can take it. This, obviously, gives him confidence as he admires and respects Gandalf. This confidence gives him the will to take the Ring, right? If not, where does the sudden will come from?

I will stalk off now, read the whole thread before I possibly post again. I hope I haven't taken the discussion far back, but you can always just not take heed to it.

Cheers,
Nova

Last edited by Novnarwen; 06-30-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Novnarwen is offline   Reply With Quote