View Single Post
Old 06-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #45
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
About Orcs and their eating habits --- how about, besides making the land more arable for crops and such, the Fellowship introduces animal husbandry to the Orcs. That would seem to me to be a better fit for them -- as a sort of herdsmen people - goats perhaps to take out to pasture - meat, milk, hides; pigs and chickens at home. I think Orcs could grasp quite easily the concepts of raising animals in herds, safeguarding them. Goats could learn to adapt to the sparse Mordor lands. And if they fancied horses, I think they would soon find it impossible to sustain a herd there. Since slavery is now disallowed, raising humans for food crops would also be seen as an inadvisable move.

I would think the Orcs would be ones to position themselves for their advantage. They can grasp the idea that eating people or other peoples' horses would not be an advantageous move. And they could understand,too, how the radical actions of individuals would negatively impact their group. I would think their leaders would deal such individuals a hard blow, if not a final one. (Geez - I have the image of Orcs as Klingons running through my mind at the moment . . . old trekker here )

Meat from their animals could be exchanged for the crop-foods grown by the other group. The concept of an open market place for the two settlements could be introduced, allowing them to become economically dependent on one another.

~*~ Pio

------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT I reset the name of the thread - is that alright with everyone?

-----

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-18-2006 at 01:30 PM.