View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 01:35 AM   #1
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril Honoring the Hobbits - ROTK spoilers

You know some people may consider me a traitor but I think I love better how the Hobbits were honored in the movie over the way they were honored in the book....<P>First here is how the Hobbits are honored in the book:<P>“As they came to the opening in the wood, they were surprised to see knights in bright mail and tall guards in silver and black standing there, who greeted them with honor and bowed before them. And then one blew a long trumpet, and they went on through the aisle of trees beside the singing spring. So they came to a wide green land, and beyond was a broad river in a silver haze, out of which rose a long wooded isle, and many ships lay by its shores. But on the field where they now stood a great host was drawn up, in ranks and companies glittering in the sun. And as the Hobbits approached swords were unsheathed, and spears were shaken, and horns and trumpets sang, and men cried with many voices and in many tongues:<P>‘Long live the Halfings! Praise them with great praise!<BR>Cuio i Pheriain anann! Aglar’ni Pheriannanth!<BR>Praise them with great praise, Frodo and Samwise!<BR>Daur a Berhael, Conin en Annun! Eglerio!<BR>Praise them!<BR>Eglerio!<BR>A laita te, laita te! Andave laituvalmet!<BR>Praise them!<BR>Cormacolindar, a laita tarienna!<BR>Praise them! The Ring-bearers praise them with great praise!”<P>*skipping ahead just a bit*<P>“Frodo ran to meet him, and Sam followed close behind, ‘Well if this isn’t the crown of all!’ he said. ‘Strider, or I’m still asleep!’<P>‘Yes, Sam, Strider,’ said Aragorn. ‘It is a long way, it is not, from Bree, where you did not like the look of me? A long way for us all, but yours has been the darkest road.’<P>And then to Sam’s surprise and utter confusion he bowed his knee before them; and taking them by the hand, Frodo upon his right and Sam upon his left, he led them to the throne, and setting them upon it, he turned to the men and captains who stood by and spoke, so that his voice rang over the host, crying:<P>‘Praise them with great praise!”<P>–Taken from ‘The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King: The Field of Cormallen’<P>Now, admittedly I LOVED in the book how Frodo and Sam were dressed like princes before the feast in the same chapter - but at the same time I must say the Hobbits in the movie were finely dressed when they returned home to the Shire...<P>Though it was quite shorter in the movie than in the book I found it more moving, poignant to hear Aragorn say the words “My friends, you bow to no one!” and then to see him and everyone else kneel to the Hobbits - That scene is wonderful and has never failed to move me to tears the 3 times I have watched it!