View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #2330
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Fundamentalism is selective blindness, selective deafness and selective dumbness. It is a sincere yearning for the good ol' days when the world was still flat and everything revolved around Man, when witches were burned alongside scholars, and wars were fought by fundamentalists fundamentally opposed to other fundamentalists whose doctrines were, obviously, fundamentally unsound.
That's moving it into a kind of different and specific perspective; agreed, but why I formulated it the way I formulated it was that I intended it to say it as globally as possible. You can apply it on all various kinds of the "selective blindness and deafness", as you formulated it, anything which makes people dig in their heels and scorn anything that does not go together with their belief: be it the fact that the world is flat, or be it the fact that the world is round. The fundamentalism is still fundamentalism - whether one is right or not does not give him the right to force the other one to just "believe it, or else...!" - That's the main point of it.
And people being led into wars by their fundamentalism to possibly fight other people being led by their fundamentalism are here still to this day. (And often it's not the other fundamentalists whom they meet, but people who have hardly anything to do with it.) Enough said. That's all I assigned already.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote