View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #688
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
I assign the city of Oxford. So nuzzletastically good. History all around you. Wonderful lawns. Colleges everywhere. The libraries!

Ooh yes ... And the Bodleian with it's wonderfully absurd requirement that you solemnly promise not to burn the place down in order to get your ticket (which seems to fit in with the strange requirements of Hobbit wills).... it was very hard not to laugh as I recited:

"I hereby undertake .... not to bring into the Library, or kindle therein, any fire or flame, and not to smoke in the Library; and I promise to obey all rules of the Library."

I mean, the thought had never occurred until they suggested it. Then I felt sympathy with the girl who said that the 10 Commandments were unfair because they just put ideas in your head.... I hardly used my card lest I be seized by an uncontrollable urge to hold a fondue party in the Radcliffe Camera...

I also love the fact that the Cathedral resolutely runs on Oxford time not London time. As I am perpetually five minutes late, this suited me perfectly and meant I didn't have to sneak in during the processional.... The Shire keeps its own reckoning so I am sure they would approve - though maybe not of all the related book learning....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote