View Single Post
Old 04-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I can agree that Denethor was certainly on his way to becoming a tyrant. It is simply circumstance which prevents him becoming a full blown tyrant - the return of Aragorn and then his own death. The death of Boromir could easily have pushed him into some kind of reign of terror, but as it was, it pushed him deep into despair and thus towards his own death.

But I do wonder what might have happened if Boromir had not died. I think again, that if he had returned either with or without the ring, then this too would have pushed Denethor into tyranny. Without the ring he would have been furious and determined to prove himself in some other way, and with it he would have caused something dire to happen.

So Denethor, whichever way the circumstances had gone, was always one step away from being a tyrant, but was he quite there yet? I think he was on the brink of it, and that it was inevitable. I like this thought as it makes his story all the more threatening; and it also makes his death more palatable of course.

Aragorn is the rightful king and heir, but the difference between him and the 'sitting tenant' is that Aragorn proves himself, and wins the support of the people. I think that while Denethor was spoiled by politics, Aragorn showd how skilful use of the same could actually be of benefit. I wonder what the result might have been had someone like Faramir been steward at the time?