View Single Post
Old 11-30-2006, 02:35 AM   #23
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I second... wait, third... the death of Thorin. It had been a long time since I had last read the Hobbit when I reread it this spring and I did cry while reading his death and last words to Bilbo. It's truly a moving scene.

If tragicness (???) is measured in when do I cry when I read the books, Gollum's glimpse of his old good self in Cirith Ungol and Sam banishing it is one for sure.

Théoden's death is also one of those moments. I don't know if it should be tragic, but sad. After all, he was an old man and his fate was fulfilled and he left the world the way he wanted and when he had no objections to death. I always think "tragic" is something that should not happen, it's not "right" and sad, but "wrong" and sad. Thus, Théoden's death is not a tragic moment, but just a sad moment full of grief.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote