View Single Post
Old 07-07-2006, 11:34 AM   #280
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Lin's rather decisively innocent. She's intelligent, and perceptive, but to a large degree she interpretes what she sees around her to fit a personal vision of the world as it ought to be. For that reason, her perspective emphasizes the slightly unhinged nature of Sorn's obsession. While she doesn't underestimate his intelligence and craftiness, she chooses (albeit unconsciously) to see him primarily as a maniac. While I think Sorn's a little off, I don't think he's as crazy as Lin does, and in this case, her innocence isn't working for her. It increases her fear of him, and prevents her from trying to think like him and thus predict his actions.

With Scyld, on the other hand, she chooses to interprete his rather safe and minimal help to her as a sign of a man essentially good, perhaps even an idealist, and believes he follows Sorn as a result of extreme bad luck and disillusionment. She interpretes his bitterness as a chronic disappointment in the real world, and firmly believes that she can reverse it, and encourage him to truly cast his lot in with hers. I don't know if this is a true way of seeing him, but so far it does seem to be working for her. It seems to unsettle Scyld, at the least.

Just some thoughts I decided to share. Hopefully that will help you, Tara and Firefoot, in your characters' interactions with her.

Meanwhile I'll keep trying to establish rapport between Lin and her gaolers without creating a rather well-written case of Stockholm's Syndrome. Please warn me if I seem to be drifting in that direction. That's not the sort of relationship I mean to imply.