View Single Post
Old 06-30-2006, 05:47 AM   #109
Orofaniel
Mighty Mouse of Mordor

Orofaniel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofaniel
Shield

Quote:
Question, Oro - what does your first post describe, exactly? It describes an escape. Were you envisioning that escape as recent?
Hm.

Well, I thought I had made it clear in my post, but perhaps I haven't. My mistake. I'll explain.

The first paragraphs are just images of the events taking place when Reagonn still was a slave at the plantation; It's just describing the fire and what happened to him while in the shelter when the fire broke out.

These images are things that he re-lives in his nightmares after he has escape from the plantation.

Quote:
Witnessing this he realised that it was time for his second attempt to escape. Not only from the fire, but from the plantation.
Reagonn has already tried to escape once from the plantation together with Bornir, but it was unsuccessful. What is supposed to important in this scene is that the other slaves' main concern is to escape from the fire - to survive. Yet, what good will that do? If they do survive, they have to labour hard until they die anyway. Reagonn realises that the fire can actually save him, from his misery, yet he refuses to let this be his destiny.

So what's he's basically saying is that, 1) either he burns to death now, or 2) he escapes both the fire and from the plantation. These are his only options.

He decides to take advantage of the situation and he finds a way out of the shelter - unnoticed, due to the thick dark smoke, fire, people etc - and he escapes from the plantation.

Quote:
This dream, which he had dreamt so many times before would not leave him.
– (from the second to last paragraph.)

It’s referring to the images from the fire etc.

Did that clear things up? If not, I’m going to have to re-write it.