View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #33
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Actually, 'twas John who was the priest.

Michael, being Catholic, would have looked rather funny with a son named Michael George if he were a priest.

But don't mind me... I'm being pedantic.
Not necessarily. There is nothing in the Roman rites of holy orders that prohits widowers from being called and studying and finally taking vows which their children could witness.

But don't mind me ... I'm being pedantic.

Pity this didn't come to light while Michael was alive to accept further eager questions. Would Christopher--not that he is an absolute authority--know anything about this? Priscilla?

davem, you've mentioned in the past that Priscilla is friendly with the Tolkien Society. Would you ever be able to bring this question to her at an Oxenmoot or what is it that the TS calls their fall meetings?

This is also an example of the kind of thing which I've suggested could well be missing in the popular Carpenter biography. Did Carpenter ever speak with Tolkien's children, or only with Tolkien and Christopher?--not to disparage Carpenter now, mind.
Bęthberry is offline   Reply With Quote