View Single Post
Old 05-12-2022, 02:01 PM   #579
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Wa-wa-wait, you think Thingol is talking about Nargothrond here? OMG, he totally could be talking about Finrod here. Maybe he was always supposed to talk about Finrod here. I thought he was talking about himself, the king who brought misfortune onto his own land - but I never realized he could also be talking about Finrod!
I think he thinks he is. The relevant section:

Quote:
FEANORIONS:
Finrod, we curse you, ever to be our foe
Damn you for riding forth to the Gates of Woe
Damn you fulfilling your oath while ours forever waits
Our hearts are growing colder with undying hate!

THINGOL:
I feel the earth begin to ring

FEANORIONS:
You are our enemy fore'er

THINGOL:
And on the wind a whispered treason

FEANORIONS:
You'll die in darkness and despair

THINGOL:
Fell doom has fallen on the King
Fell doom has fallen on the King
The artist of his own destruction
The lads curse Finrod, and Thingol has A Feeling that Doom has fallen on a king. He's interspersed with the lads literally cursing Finrod some more, so like... I feel like he's responding to that?

But then Melian comes in, and she talks to her husband: "Your throne will crumble into ash". Because, of course, the Quest of the Silmaril is ultimately the cause of the fall of Doriath. Sure, the immediate curse is on Finrod - but it won't end there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
So let's parse the singing all over each other to see what's actually happening in that version, and what we might actually use for ours.
Thingol stanza: Thingol sings main lines, C&C sing "echo" lovely wishes

Melian's stanza: Melian sings main line, Thingol joins in with her on "fell doom...kinsfolk", C&C echo

Madness #1 and #2: Melian sings alone, C&C echo. Both Madnesses are the same, musically and lyrics-wise.
The lyrics as they appear on Lora's site:
Thingol stanza: Daeron echoes (not that we would be using this)

Melian stanza: C&C echo

Madness: Melian sings alone, Thingol echoes "what madness have I done".
Looking back at V1 Aria, Thingol echoes "what madness have I done" only once in that 3-line passage, after the first line.

Conclusion: there's lots of flexibility and lots of combinations to choose from. So, question one - would it be a good thing for Melian to repeat Madness twice? If yes, then we can have C&C do the echo the first time, and Thingol do the echo the second time. If we only do it once, probably better to stick with C&C. However, Thingol could also sing the line together with Melian if we wanted to include all the characters without doubling that refrain.
Wait, C'n'C echo the madness line? Who are they calling mad? That's really thrown me. Ummm. I think unless you have a good idea for it, repeating the madness chorus just for the sake of it is probably... just... doing it for the sake of it, I don't know, it's late. Would it work if Thingol sang "I" along with Melian's "you", rather than as an echo?

(Putting together 'Sons' animation now; the boys are looming terribly around poor Luthien.)

hS