View Single Post
Old 02-07-2005, 09:34 PM   #354
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

Looking out the back window, but hidden behind the curtain, Ruthven watched the intrepid heroes search the tracks and marks on the door. She was able to stifle an outright guffaw, but her shoulders shook, and her sides, and her belly. She hadn't had sucha good laught in some time.

She observed that 'twas the lass Saeryn who solved the puzzle. "A sharp lass," she said to herself. One who will give Eodwine and Falco a good run for their shenanigans. But it was time to look occupied and otherwise very busy. It wouldn't do to be seen watching the hand play out. Ruthven withdrew to the Great Hall, where the morning's activities could be subjected to any number and manner of discussion.

Meanwhile, Bethberry had been quietly observing the other young lass, this one truly a young lass, timorously enter the Horse. She sat quietly, but gave away her nervousness by fingering a necklace whick was far too fancy to be shown in the likes of an Inn, however good that Inn's reputation might be. She walked over to the girl in time to overhear the twins, Garreth and Harreld. Harmless enough they were, yet perhaps the girl could use a steadying hand of the Innkeeper in keeping these two at bay?

'Now my fine lads, what's this to be asking a lady her age?"

"It is a perfectly innocent question, Innkeeper," retorted Harreld.

"Nay, it is not so," replied Bethberry.

"It was, it was!" seconded Garreth. "As Pa is our witness."

"Now don't be going to invoke your Pa as a witness, for his roving eye and merry cheeks were legend here in his day."

The young girl looked up at Bethberry, eyes wide, her hand dropping the necklace back to remain hidden int he folds of her shawl.

"Why, they were flirting with me!" she said.

"Well, there's flirting and then there's chatting. And then there's the proper decorum to a place like The White Horse, where a young girl can come to enjoy some company without being sounded out as if the very machinations of a matchmaker were involved."

The girl gasped. "Oh, they weren't!" she began.

"Nothing at all of the sort," sputtered Harreld.

'Not our doing," chimed in Garreth.

"I see," intoned Bethberry. "Well, let's let the lass enjoy her breakfast afore she needs to fend you two off."

"Breakfast," called out Ruthven. 'I'm hungry and I smell taters and 'shrooms and berry cakes on the grill. Must an old lady be up all night watching for villien and not be fed come the morrow?"

With those words the old bag lady slid into a seat beside the young lass "I've no qualms about telling my age. Shall you ask it, Harreld?" she said with a twinkle in her eye. Bethhberry merely laughed aloud and turned towards the commotion that was arising from the back. It appeared that Eowdwin and Falco were approaching, with Saeryn at their side.

"And who is minding our other lass," asked Bethberry. "We should be called the Inn of the Lost Lasses, I am thinking."