View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 11:12 AM   #400
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
davem, what's up, man? If anyone here seems "desperate" to prove anything, or convinced that his view is the one true way, or determined to silence any view other than his own, it's you.

Since you don't seem to respond well to friendly suggestions from moderators and seem to prefer to handle these matters publicly anyway, let me lay it on the line for you:

1. Publishing privately made comments and private PMs without permission has long been a no-no here on the Downs. In the past when people have seen fit to take private comments and publish them on the Downs, we've often deleted them, as I have now done with the ones you published.

2. As SPM mentioned waaaay back upthread, discussion is not serious or relevant or appropriate only when davem deems it to be so. The moderators of the forum make those calls.

We are not extremely rigid about this; members are free to question a topic or to alert the moderators to a thread or a post or a member who has stepped over the line. But when we make a call -- such as that the "Lord of the Bible?" thread is a perfectly reasonable topic for discussion -- we expect members to respect that call, and not to continually challenge it or attempt to shout down or intimidate other members or otherwise hijack the thread.

I would think that the fact that Tolkien himself was willing to entertain the idea of drawing parallels between his work and his religion would be enough to justify the validity of the topic. In the past we've had threads that discussed WWI parallels, WWII parallels, parallels with ancient myth and fairy tale, and yes, biblical/religious parallels.

You don't think this activity reveals anything valuable or worthwhile for you. Okay, we get it. If that's all you have to say, stop saying it and let others who do find it valuable or even just interesting do it. If you can't see how disruptive your posts have been in the latter part of this thread, I can't help you, I can only urge you to find a topic that you do find more valuable and spend your energy there instead.

3. Respect forum policies and mod decisions and requests. In this case, I'm going to request that you do something that's going to be very difficult for you: resist the temptation to respond to this post line by line, justifying why you think you're right and explaining again why you think this topic isn't serious enough to meet your standards. If you (or anyone) have questions on our moderating policies or any of the calls we've made here, please feel free to PM me for further clarification.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote