View Single Post
Old 03-19-2003, 07:15 AM   #295
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Having recently posted in the Geriatric's Club I'd like to thank Mithadan for the link to this thread.
I have enjoyed this site immensely since I found it (entirely by accident) last year. I hung around for a few months, reading the posts, trying to answer questions in the Quiz section etc and finally plucked up the courage to join in!
I first read "The Hobbit" at the age of eleven. I had won a small prize (a book token) for doing well at school. The assistant in the bookshop, trying to be helpful, was pointing me in the direction of Enid Blyton and Eleanor M. Brent-Dyer (this was 1964)
However, I was struck by a display which featured a large map....so I wandered over and picked up...... "The Hobbit".
"Oh, you won't like that," she said "it's about a little dwarf who lives in a hole!"
Five minutes later I was the proud possessor of my first Tolkien book and I have been hooked ever since!
I had the great pleasure of reading both "The Hobbit" and "The Lord Of The Rings" to my son and although he is of the "Star Wars" generation he still reads and appreciates Tolkien. In fact, he introduced me to "The Silmarillion" about ten years ago.
As a devotee of the books, I approached the movies with a certain amount of trepidation....Would the Elves be silly "Vulcan-like" creatures.....Would Boromir be a Viking......Would Aragorn be a modern "Action Hero"???
I was pleasantly surprised. There were one or two quibbles of course, but on the whole a definite thumbs-up!!