View Single Post
Old 07-13-2003, 08:34 AM   #103
Adastrea
Animated Skeleton

Adastrea has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I can see some similarities...but then who can't with the majority of fantasy? Both JKR JRRT have drawn on myth and legend to create their stories. But I don't compare the two. I look on LOTR as adult fiction and HP as childrens though the latest was much darker.

I guess though I am an Avid LOTR fan (and yes I like it more than HP) I wanted to point out a few of the parallels I have drawn.

For starters my sig below. while studying at Oxford University, JRRT came in touch with the poem "the Crist of Cynewulf". Tolkien was especially fascinated by the cryptic couplet: Eálá Earendel engla beorhtast Ofer middangeard monnum sended - "Hail Earendel, brightest of angels, over Middle Earth sent to men ". This poem positively inspired him. To state the sil charcter derived from this isn't really necessary! Strong links to norse and Irish myth can be found. Just look at the Tuatha Dé Danann: Imortal, beyond the beauty of man, came in white ships-need I say more. Le Morte D'Arthur has already been mentioned but I have come across a character in there called Balin. Oh and a bit of trivia a bilbo is an iron bar used to secure prisoners shackles!

I remember their being a reference to Rangers in C.S.Lewis' Silver Chair...

Basically I love LOTR both books and their basis in myth only makes them more enjoyabe giving them a tight anchor in your subconcious. But one thing I do not see JRRT as a racist facist! Attacking the authors personally is just a childish tactic. Both had a dream they shared, both dreams mean different things to different people. Thats the beauty of the human mind not everyone sees the same thing the same way [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Oh I heard of Boggarts before they turn milk sour stuff like that [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]Helpful aren't they!