View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 09:29 AM   #4
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I've noticed that too, but never thought of it to that extent. Interesting, very interesting and surely by no means unintentional from Tolkien's part. Given that Túrin and Tuor were cousins, the parallel seems even stronger. The stories even overlap curiously when Tuor and Voronwë see Túrin at distance.

Alongside those differences and similarities you listed, I think at least two things are worth being mentioned. First is the difference between their mothers, gentle Rían and steel-hard Morwen. Both their sons take after their own mother, are affected by their upbringing (I can't help thinking Túrin's grimness might have had something to do with his mother's attitude) and lose their mothers early. While Túrin is traumathised by this, I can't remember how was it with Tuor.

Also, both men are fostered in a way or another by Elves (Tuor with Annael & co, Túrin with Thingol) and become close to an Elven King. While Tuor is the ideal son-in-law to Turgon, Túrin, although loved by his foster "father" Thingol, mostly causes trouble at his court.

And now that I started thinking about these things, they both have a faithful and loving Elf friend, Tuor has Voronwë and Túrin has Beleg. I'm sure one could easily come up with even more things if s/he thought about it.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote