View Single Post
Old 11-05-2002, 01:09 PM   #369
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mithadan rested on a bed of white sand. He could hear the murmur and sigh of the ocean as its waves swept up and down the beach. He was weary so that he could barely lift his head and the pain from his wounds nagged at him; an unrelenting reminder of the bloody night beneath Meneltarma. Every stroke of his sword, every Man that had perished at his hand was graven upon his memory. But so also did he recall the faces of each Hobbit and Man that he had swung his sword for and, in balance, the rightness of the cause he had served outweighed his guilt over any blood he had spilled. He was content.

Above him, silhouetted against the blue sky was a familiar face, the Lord Ulmo. For a moment the face was grim as he examined Mithadan's wounds and the hidden scars that he also bore. Then the noble head nodded and a smile appeared that seemed bright as the sun. So, thou hast solved the riddle of thy doom and remain among the living. Know this, Child of Man. Between the Atani and their Doom, the Valar may not intercede; that power rests only with the One. So pleased I am that thou hast survived the test. And though I could not have prevented thy death, even if I had solved the riddle, I can now ease thy suffering somewhat. This at least thou hast earned. He raised a great horn of shell and poured out a clear liquid onto Mithadan. The Man felt at once at ease and refreshed. Awake and arise! Thou and thy friends are victorious. But I have need of thee even now.

Mithadan opened his eyes and beheld the ceiling and walls of a cabin on the Elven ship. But Ulmo remained and smiled again upon the Man. He rose from his bunk and stood before the Lord of the Seas. The slight noise roused Piosenniel and she shot to her feet upon seeing her husband standing tall and straight. Then she bowed her head before the Vala.

All have died of those who must. All others will mend quickly now. And so this journey must soon continue, for the Halflings must be taken to their homes. The one you call Cami will know where. I will come again soon for the time has come for the Halflings to make their choices.

The mighty figure dissolved into a mist which flowed through the open porthole and out to sea. Moments later, the Telerin Captain burst through the cabin door. "I saw smoke..." he began, then stopped in astonishment, for Piosenniel and Mithadan were locked in a tight embrace.

[ November 05, 2002: Message edited by: Mithadan ]