View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 PM   #109
davem
Illustrious Ulair

Location: In the home of lost causes, and forsaken beliefs, and unpopular names,and impossible loyalties
davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.davem is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron the White View Post
Is it fair to say that the Ring corrupts? Is that not the basis for the rejection of it by Gandalf and Galadriel?
The Ring corrupts if you take it & claim it as your own. It doesn't corrupt otherwise. Every individual has the absolute freedom to reject the Ring.

Quote:
davem ... I ask you about Faramir and you respond telling me that Sam was not corrupted and he possessed the ring. thank you. How long of a period of time would you estimate that Sam had the Ring in his possession?
Longer than Faramir. In fact, longer than anyone but Sauron, Isildur, Smeagol, Bilbo & Frodo. If the Ring is instantly corrupting, whether the bearer accepts it or not, Sam should have been corrupted by it.

Quote:
Is that wrong? Which authors or Tolkien scholars should I defer to over what the text itself says?
Well, as I've already stated twice, I've used the text to confirm my argument, rather than Shippey.