Thread: Why Tolkien?
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #24
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Mister Underhill brings up several of the reasons we're here; I've often thought there must be a common denominator shared by Tolkien readers, at least those of the dedicated, enthusiastic kind. I think that a love of language is involved, a feeling for the aesthetic beauty of words that this particular author uses. And if we are linguistic connoisseurs, we also feel the need to express our thoughts in language. Hence the inclination to read and write about Tolkien's works.

This is in no way limited to the internet, though this medium has added to our possibilities for sharing. There are numerous literary societies all over the world whose members meet in real life to discuss serious subjects involving themes of JRRT's works, and also to immerse themselves in the world of Middle-earth by wearing costumes and enjoying fun activities. Middle-earth has room for everyone from Hobbits to Elves, so its fans have all kinds of possibilities to express their enthusiasm. The depth and breadth of Tolkien's fantasy world encourages us to explore it in depth and breadth.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote