Thread: Why Tolkien?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 09:18 PM   #19
Kent2010
Wight

Kent2010 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
To make an honest statement, I did not first read LOTR to escape from reality. I first read it, because I loved the movies. It may be escapism that led to many people (before the movies) reading LOTR, but that was not my situation and I think to answer why we first read LOTR, escapism does not apply to everyone.

The other reason, is simply because I like reading, I like books and a variety of books. There has been a plentiful of biographies popping out everywhere, some are really interesting, others ehh not so much. Works of non-fiction like Soul by Soul which describe the brutal details of the slave trade, and those involved, some comedy from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, plus some fantasy - like LOTR and Harry Potter. It is not a matter of escape, it's the basic matter that I like to read. Seeing the connections between literature and history, and what do books tell us about social and intellectual history is something I can not get enough of...

The good thing about writing fantasy is you can push the boundaries, and in some ways have the potential to get people to think about real social issues. Afterall talking about Elves prejudices against Dwarves, vice versa, and their bloody, violent past is easier than discussing the relatively "new" past or current acts of genocide. Making it Elves slaying Orcs slaing in the 1,000s diffuses the brutal reality that we, as humans, are all capable of unspeakable acts of bloodshed and violence. But it is difficult to confront the fact that 40 years ago many student protesters, in the U.S and on several campuses were shot, because that "grief is still too near." Even if it is Men committing brutality, it still si not as difficult, because we are reading "fantasy Men."

However, the drawback to this is it makes fantasy difficult to believe or make a connection. The Centaurs are forced to live on this plot of land? So what? Here Non-fiction has a leg up, because it is hard to question the reality, and even though reality can get skewed by myth, it is easier for us to believe these types of books. The problem is the topic might be too painful for people to want to confront.

Like what many have said, LOTR is believable. It is believable for a lot of reasons, which I will not repeat, but I will add another reason I find it believable:

Quote:
To me, the Middle Earth mythos feels complete; it is comprehensive and consistent (and I know, just as anyone who has perused HoME, that there are inconsistencies and frayed threads).
-Aelfwine
The inconsistancies and the incomplete stories we want to read more about, makes the story all the more believable. I think it is a mistake to think history is a bunch 'unquestionable facts.' There are countless events, wars, battles, movements and etc...that are unquestionable, but how it really was to live through an event can only be known by those who live through it. Or the details of what really took place, can only be told by those who witnessed it. And even with real primary sources, and 'eyewitness' accounts, it is very difficult for anyone (in the present) to definitively say "this is what happened, how it happened, and why.' Because, as humans, when we write something down we make conscious decisions to leave certain details out, maybe fudge the reality a bit, or it most likely is a matter of simply misremembering. As many "facts" about history we have, there are more unanswered questions, more contradictions, and more unknowns and there is a curiosity in trying to find out more.

That is part of the believability of LOTR. I want to read more, I want to find out more, but like history there is only so much. And the unanswered questions...does the Balrog have wings? Who knows? Let's ask Gandalf. However, the true power of LOTR is as Mithalwen pointed out the depth, because as you read more, you find out more. And as members of a forum, you can consider opinions and ideas that never crossed your mind. To sum up this entire post in one sentence (maybe it would have been more convenient for me to just say...): It is an unbreakable constructing cycle: reading, finding out more, but that presents even more questions and wanting to find out even more that makes you want to go back and read again.