Thread: Why Tolkien?
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #18
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Starting with why we need a Tolkien community...
When I first read LotR, I needed someone to talk about Middle-earth to, someone to discuss Sam's loyalty, or the oddities of Tom Bombadil. No one else I knew had read these books, so I needed people that had common interests as me. People with similar interests flock together essentially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
So to give a short answer after a long one, Tolkien has breadth and depth and the more you look the more you find.
I've found that I have liked Tolkien the more I read. I loved the Lord of the Rings, but I loved the Silmarillion more so. The Children of Hurin was even better.

I love LotR because it is so descriptive. It feels real, like the characters could've really existed, they are relatible. I feel as if I am in Middle-earth when I read. Such as, when reading Lothlorien, I can actually see it, I'm there. Not many other authors, to me can make me picture things so vividly. I am aware that there are other authors, and I like to read other books, such as those by Agatha Christie, but I always wander back to Tolkien after a while.

Tolkien is enjoyable to all ages, I can read FotR to my eight year old brother, and he thinks Frodo and Sam amusing. He likes it. Some people although, are not interested at all. My father for instance, is in the mind set that reading Tolkien is a waste of time, he just doesn't get into it, but I do. Why? Some people don't like depth, I suppose. I guess that Tolkien has a ring that other authors don't have. There is always more depth, always another agreeable and relatible character.

Tolkien as an author writes poems and songs. He writes funny characters, and solemn characters, and just normal characters just trying to get through life, isn't that what Frodo is? But the most important, to me is that Middle-earth is believable. Something that other fantasy isn't. Also, Tolkien is a lovely thing to discuss to get your mind off of a normal day, and a stressful life.

Last edited by TheGreatElvenWarrior; 04-29-2009 at 03:29 PM.
TheGreatElvenWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote